Friday, May 24, 2024

it ends with us inspired book sleeve (crochet pattern/tutorial)

Hi everyone! So many of you asked me to crochet a book sleeve and here's my attempt at crocheting one inspired by It Ends With Us. I'm not completely happy with the result, but I'll be turning this into a series where I crochet book sleeves/covers inspired by some books I love, so many more bookish projects are coming in the future!

A note on this pattern: I've included step-by-step instructions for how I made the book sleeve part but the lily flower charm is not my original design! I've included the link to the youtube tutorial I followed to make it as well as some details related to that part. With this pattern, I'm taking credit for the way in which I crocheted the book sleeve and the idea behind it, NOT the lily flower. That being said, I can't wait to see what you come up with! Please tag me in your creations (or send me a picture!) and feel free to DM me on Instagram (@mahumcrochets) if you have any questions.

Materials & Terminology:

I used a 4.5 mm hook, off-white and light pink yarn appropriate for that hook size, and a thinner magenta yarn. Abbreviations: HDC - half double crochet, SS - slip stitch, CH - chain.

Part 1: The sleeve
Start by making a slipknot and chain the length of your book's spine, hdc into the second ch from your hook till the end of the row, when you reach the last ch space - hdc 3 into the same ch, now you'll be working on the other side of your chains not on top of the hdc row that you just made, insert 1 hdc into every ch till the end of the row, when you reach the space where you inserted your very first hdc in the beginning - insert 2 more hdc into the same space (total 3 hdc in that space), now you'll be working in rounds without any increases or chains in between - keep inserting 1 hdc into every stitch till the sleeve is as big as you want.

Part 2: The flower & leaf charm
I used a thicker light pink yarn first and followed this tutorial for 2 rows of petals: click here.

For the magenta part, I used a thinner yarn and did the following steps that are similar to what's shown in the tutorial but decreased them to make the center part smaller: start with a magic ring, ch 2, hdc 6 into the magic ring, ss into the top of the ch 2, ch 4, ss into the 2nd ch from your hook, ss into the other 2 chains, repeat the steps in asterisks around the round *ss into the front loop of the hdc stitch, ch 4, ss into the 2nd ch from your hook, ss into the other 2 chains*, ss into the first stitch you made, ch 1 or 2 to fasten off and cut.

I followed this tutorial for the leaf: click here. When you're done, sew the pieces in the center of your book sleeve (you just have to sew the middle of the flower on your sleeve). 

Part 3: The border and clasp
Attach your border yarn color to any stitch with a knot, insert 1 hdc into every stitch around the round, ss into the first hdc you made, ss in every hdc stitch that you made around the sleeve till you reach the part where you want to add your clasp, ch the length you want for the clasp, leave a bit of gap and ss back into the hdc stitches, continue ss around the sleeve till you reach the first ss you made, ch 1 or 2 to fasten off and cut.

And you're done!

I hope you found this pattern helpful, I'm still in the process of learning and trying to navigate the crochet community, so I'd love feedback from you! Please let me know what could've been improved or just your general thoughts on the pattern. I can't wait to see what you all create, don't forget to tag me on Instagram, and happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

how to crochet a cute bucket hat of any size (customisable & beginner friendly pattern)

Hi everyone! With this pattern, you can crochet yourself or your pets (or stuffed animals!) a bucket hat with a really cute frilly trim.  A ...